Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cold River

Here's the blurb:
Mandy Steenburg thinks her doctorate in education has prepared her to run any school district - until she tangles with the moonshine-making, coon-dog-owning denizens of a tiny district in Pacific Northwest timber country. She's determined to make a difference, but the local populace still looks to the former superintendent for leadership. When Mandy lands in the middle of an old feud and someone keeps trying to kill her, instinct tells her to run. And though she has to literally swim through perilous waters, she finds a reason to stay and chance the odds.

Oh honey, if there's one thing I love, it's a good romantic suspense. I love the wondering--will they? Won't they?  Come on!  Can't you see that he's perfect for you?  Lives in peril, Prince Charming coming to her rescue, the smoldering glances, trembling kisses, That sort of thing. 

Liz Adair nailed it.

Cold River has an unlikely heroine.  Truthfully, I wasn't sure I would like her.  School District Superintendent?  That definitely had the potential to cut down on my smoldering glances and trembling kisses.  But, it didn't!  Even with her tons of education and even more uptight, suit-wearing, 'I know how to run a school district' attitude, Dr. Mandy Steenburg turned out to be quirky and fun-loving and hilarious.

There were four--did I get them all?--different potential love interests in the charming northwestern town that Mandy moves into and I held my breath until the very end hoping that she'd pick the right one.  And hoping that he'd pick her.  It was touch and go there for a little while, but there's nothing like attempted murder, a raging river and music to bring two people together.  Sigh.

Oh, and if you're wondering, this book is totally clean, it shines with good Mormon values, so yes, you can give it to your Granny or your teenager and not worry.  Also, they'll love it.

Purchase link: http://www.amazon.com/Cold-River-Liz-Adair/dp/1599928035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322625922&sr=8-1
Liz's blog: http://sezlizadair.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jenny, for reviewing Cold River. Made me want to read it myself. You have a great voice. Thanks for providing a link to my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with your review 100%. I think I missed the 4th love interest (Maybe you are talking about the guy from the past???) Sometimes I feel like getting free books to review is the best job in the world. This book was one of those times.

    ReplyDelete